Being an event planner requires both creativity and extreme organizational skills. One way to stay organized as a wedding planner is to document the process for all aspects of your business such as the steps to take when you book a new client.
1) Counter-sign the wedding planning contract from your client and send clients a final copy. Ideally, you send them an electronic contract that they can sign online.
2) Process the initial payment from your clients and enter it into your accounting software or financial spreadsheet.
3) Enter future payment amounts and due dates into a cash flow document or spreadsheet that is organized by month. This makes it easy to invoice clients prior to a payment due date AND will give you a quick look at what your projected cash flow is for each month ahead.
4) If you use project management or planning software, enter the client and event details into your program. If you do not use software, create an email folder with your client’s names. Under that folder, create subfolders for each vendor category where you can keep email communications organized. Here is an example of a folder structure for each client:
5) If you do not use project management or planning software, create a folder for the client on your computer or on a cloud-based program such as Google Drive. You can use the same structure as shown above for email. This will allow you to work quicker because you will always know where to find files, photos, and contracts for each client.
6) Send a welcome gift or card to your new clients.
7) Send initial planning documents to clients (planning checklists, budget projection, etc.)
8) Send a thank you note or a gift to the person who referred you (if applicable)
Creating systems in your business allows you to work more efficiently which enables you to take on more clients (or have more time for yourself).
What other areas of your business can create checklists and processes for to help you work more efficiently?
Are you a new or aspiring wedding planner?
The Wedding Planner’s Toolbox is a complete set of business templates and tools for professional wedding planners. As a wedding planner, you have one chance and a huge responsibility to plan and coordinate the perfect wedding day for your clients. The Wedding Planner’s Toolbox gives you the tools needed to get things done correctly.
Timeline templates, consultation forms, questions to ask vendors, planning checklist, and much more!