Welcome to our “Day in the Life” series! We feature wedding and event planners from around the world with many different levels of experience. If you would like to be featured, download our questionnaire here and email your responses and photos to email@example.com. We are excited to feature Louisiana wedding planner Victoria Roberts today!
Name: Victoria A. Roberts
Business Name & Location: VAR Events | Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Years Working in the Event Industry: 5
Years Owning Your Event Planning Business: 5
What is your typical day like?
- 7am – Rise and Shine, time to grind and get my 5 year old son Richard off to school.
- 8am – Read and reply to emails from new clients, venue managers, vendors, etc.
- 9am – Coordinate with design assistant Carly on tasks that need to be completed.
- 10am – Work on event designs and/or floor plan creation.
- 11am – Where’s the food! Being in Louisiana, I’m always quick to grab some good ole Cajun food from one of our local eateries. Voodoo Bar b Que is my ultimate favorite. I think I could eat from their menu every day. The corn pudding is the best!
- 1pm – Run errands needed from personal to business including new client consultations and meetings (which, more often than not, consultations are scheduled after 5pm due to my client’s busy professional work schedule and my availability)
- 3pm – Pick up my son from school and anticipate him sharing how he received a “green sticker” for the day which leads into him asking “May I have a chocolate chip cookie from Chick-Fil-a for getting a green sticker?”.
- 6:30pm – Hit the gym for a 30 min cardio session on the treadmill…put that incline on 15 and walk it out while my son plays with his new gym friends in the “Kids Club” (La Fitness kid’s child care area).
- 8pm – We make it home for dinner and homework followed by bath and bed.
- 9pm – My baby boy is in bed and I work from my home office until my eyes no longer can remain open. This usually includes finishing up any design plans and/or responding to emails. In addition, I prepare a “to – do” list for the next day.
- 11pm – I should be knocked out dreaming my life away and to get up and do it all over again.
How did you get started in the industry?
I’ve been planning events since high school. Then I moved from Alabama to Louisiana to attend LSU where I began promoting events at local nightclubs. Once I grew older, I realized I didn’t want to work in the “night life” industry anymore. I enjoyed planning and creating events so I started VAR Events.
What inspires you?
Russian event planner Shakirova Julia will forever give me all the event design life I need.
What are your favorite online resources for your business?
Aside from wedding and event planning, how do you spend your time?
When I’m not planning, I enjoy time with my son or relax at home. I find value in having some time to rest your mind within your peaceful place. I enjoy a girls night out on the town trying new foods and cocktails.
Victoria, thank you so much for taking the time to share your story and a day in your life. If you are an event planner and would like to be featured, download our questionnaire today and email it to us along with a photo. If you aren’t sure about being featured, take a few minutes to read how it can help your business.