Most experienced wedding planners could write a book about the crazy stories they have experienced as a planner. The drunken guests, bridezillas, groomzillas, weather mishaps and bizarre events that we have seen are enough to test anyone’s patience and professionalism.
This week, we are sharing anonymous stories from event planners all over the world. Here are some of our favorites about the bridal party and wedding guests:
- At a particular venue in my town, there is a large deck that overlooks the swimming pool one floor below. After a few too many cocktails, the groom and 3 groomsmen decided to disrobe down to ties and boxes and jump from the railing into the pool. There is now a sign stating that jumping from the deck into the pool is not permitted.
- The groom and best man thought it would be hilarious to take their shirts off to pose in the photo booth. This wouldn’t have been that big of a deal except when the photos came out in the guest book, we realized they had been COMPLETELY naked in the photo booth. I’m not sure who was more surprised, the photo booth attendant or the bride when she realized her husband and best man were naked together in such close quarters.
- During the best man’s toast, he kept calling the bride by the name of the groom’s ex wife.
- At one wedding we planned, a little girl went up to the cake and swiped her fingers across the icing. The first few times it happened we didn’t know about it until the Maid of Honor called us on her cell phone and said, do you mind coming and doing something about this little girl, she’s ruining the cake. Sure enough we looked at the cake and there were little finger marks all along the bottom of the cake, literally ruining the design. When we approached the girls mother about it asking if there was something we could get little Sally to bid her time and occupy her the mother replied “You can cut the cake!”.
- We had an entire group of bridesmaids who couldn’t stand the bride. They wouldn’t help her get ready and didn’t talk to her at the wedding. It would have been sad except the bride was incredibly mean and didn’t even seem to care.
- A random guest decided to show off his fire juggling skills at the reception. He was actually really good! Thank god because if he wasn’t, he would have caught the place on fire.
- We had a bride who changed into sweats half way through the reception. At least they were white.
- Once at a rehearsal dinner, as part of a toast, the best man proposed to his girlfriend. A few years later, I had another couple get engaged at a wedding on the dance floor.
- The officiant passed out during the ceremony. I had smelling salt in my emergency kit and was able to revive him quickly. After a 20 minute delay, he resumed the ceremony.
- One of our brides fell asleep while sitting at the head table at the reception. I don’t think anyone realized this at the wedding but when we got a copy of her wedding video, you can see that she dozed off while sitting in her seat.
Stay tuned tomorrow for bridezilla and groomzilla stories!
If you have a story you would like us to anonymously share, please email it to email@example.com.