As wedding planners, most of us are very familiar with Pinterest. It is a great place to collect inspiration and collaborate with our clients. What you may not realize is what a powerful marketing tool Pinterest can be. Learning how to use Pinterest to effectively market your business can be a bit daunting, so I am including five tips to get started!
1) Set up a Business Account
Many people simply start boards on their personal account for business activities. That is ok, but you are not going to get the same benefits as you would with a business account. The most important thing about a business account is that it has analytics, which means you can see what pins are most clicked, liked, repinned, etc. You can also see how many people are visiting your website from Pinterest and how many photos are being pinned from your site.
Another benefit of a business account is that you can separate out your personal pins from your business pins. If you have potential clients that follow your personal Pinterest, they see everything you pin in their feed. So, if one night you go on a recipe pinning binge, your recipes will fill up their feed. This can be a bit annoying if they followed you for wedding related info. With a business account, you can curate specific content that reflects your brand and your follower’s interest.
To set up a business account simply go to https://business.pinterest.com and follow the setup directions.
2) Create Original Content
When using Pinterest to market your business follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of your content should be original. That means that you are creating pins that link back to your website. They are images from your weddings or links to your blog posts. 80% of all activity on Pinterest is repining, so you want to be providing the content that gets the pins. The remaining 20% of your pins can be repins. Just remember that repinning is promoting someone else’s content.
3) Optimize Your Pins
When you create your original pins, make sure that you are optimizing for the best search results and the greatest chance for a click and repin. Include the following to make your pins fully optimized:
- Call to action in the caption-click here, repin this, etc.
- Keywords-What words would be used to search for this topic or type of image
- Include your web link in the caption
- If you sell a product and you want them to know the price up front, include that in the caption
4) Comment on Other Pins for Exposure
Not many people comment on others pins; this is a wildly underutilized feature. The best way to reach your target market through commenting is to follow people who have the same base/demographic that you serve. When they pin something that you can add an insightful or valuable comment under, then do it! Your comment will place your brand name in front of everyone who follows the pinner.
5) Drip Your Pins
Dripping Pins means pinning at multiple times per day. If you are just setting up an account you will probably pin a bunch at once, that is fine since you do not have a ton of followers. Once you get going try not to pin more than ten pins at a time. If you pin a ton at once, you overtake the feeds of your followers and they may just skim over everything or unfollow you.
These are just a few tips to get started using Pinterest to market your planning business. Pinterest is a great place to engage with brides who are looking for inspiration.
Today’s post is a guest post from Amber Peterson. Amber is the owner of Cheers Wedding & Event Planning in western Washington. She has a Masters Degree in Integrated Marketing Communications and previously worked as a marketing consultant for wedding industry professionals. Amber is also the co-founder of the Skagit Wedding Society.