Business Resources

Are You Too Old to Change Careers?

1. Michelle Loretta

October 16th, 2013 at 8:31 am

This is such a great post, Debbie! I especially agree with you on #1. Wedding planning is so physically demanding and exhausting. It’s exhausting for anyone at any age to be running around for so many hours on the wedding day (and even leading up to it). I see the sweat pouring down the faces of my planner friends as they coordinate the dream day for their clients. It’s far from ribbons and rainbows. So glad you covered this topic!

2. Planner's Lounge - Debbie

October 16th, 2013 at 8:34 am

Thanks Michelle! I appreciate you taking time to comment and to share your experience.

3. Dana

October 16th, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Debbie,
    This is really great advice. I think people misjudge how physically and emotionally taxing event planning is. It’s especially difficult for those who own their own biz and have family and financial pressures. The rewards of entrepreneurship are great, however- but it’s important to go all in knowing all sides.

4. Nicole Nurczyk

October 16th, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Physically demanding is an understatement! I’m not even 30 yet but after doing 12 hours or more of coordination I can’t even move the next day and always schedule a massage for the next day! I think that would be the biggest factor if you should change careers or not.

5. Planner's Lounge - Debbie

October 17th, 2013 at 9:44 am

Yep, I know what you mean Nicole. And it gets harder as we get older! Thanks for sharing your experience.

6. Kelly

February 6th, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Thanks so much for your site. Great information, most I already know, but good to help organize my plan. We are in the process of starting our own Event Planning company. I have been event planning for 20+ years for different companies I have worked for, my church, charities etc… My husband also has been in charge of event planning in his job and does an outstanding job. Our family ( our kids included) truly love planning and implementing the best event possible, this goes for our corporate lives and our own private parties, we truly strive for excellence in planning and implementing an event from 25 to 1225.

7. Planner's Lounge - Debbie

February 10th, 2014 at 10:23 am

Thank you for the comment Kelly. Best of luck with your business and thanks for being part of the Planner’s Lounge community!

8. Kari

March 3rd, 2014 at 8:03 am

Thank you for covering this. I have been questioning my endurance to do begin this business at 53 years old. I have done planning for friends and relatives and while it’s been exhausting its very rewarding and I truly love it. My hope is to build it over the next year and then bring my two adult daughters into it who would also love to do it but can not take the time to build it right now.
    My question is employees to help. No one really addresses who works for them and can help with some of the labor involved. Is this unrealistic in the first year to have help? I would love to hear more on the types of help people tap into or hire for wedding day events or the days leading up to, that could help eleviate some of the stress people are writing of.
    One thing I have decided, in the last 15 years of my working career, I am going to do something I love with no regrets. I just want to hear confirmation that I can do this from someone with experience, not just friends and family. Thank you for any comments or suggestions.

9. Planner's Lounge - Debbie

March 3rd, 2014 at 8:52 am

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Kari. It isn’t unrealistic to have help the first year. It really depends on your finances. If you have money to invest in the business, a part time employee might be a good investment. Once you start booking events, you can build the cost of employee hours into the event price so that you plan to cover a certain number of employee hours for each event you book. These posts might help you as well:

10. Rochelle

January 12th, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Thank you for your article!
    I have always wanted to do wedding planning but I am a little concerned with starting my business right out the gate. I was wondering how hard it is to work for another company? Even part-time? I really want to look into a mentorship but I just keep seeing how competitive the field is so I am a bit wary to put myself out there!

11. Planner's Lounge - Debbie

January 13th, 2015 at 9:04 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Rochelle. Typically, it is helpful to get some of kind of experience first such as with a catering company or dress shop before trying to work for a planning company. Attending networking meetings locally is also super helpful in making connections to find a job in event planning. You may want to look at our short online class to help you: https://plannerslounge.com/wedding-planner-course/

12. Diana

October 27th, 2015 at 11:54 pm

I can’t believe how timely this post is for me. As I approach 6 years in this business and at a ripe age of 48, I have reached a crossroads. While I love to plan and execute people’s dream weddings, I have come to the point where I need to find something less taxing on my body. Just today I was thinking that maybe I should just do consulting while hiring others to do the physical work. I am not sure how to do this. Also, trying to figure out what it is that I want to add to my business to add another layer to what I offer. I love this business so much and if it’s not too bold to say, I am really good at it. I just haven’t found a way to maximize my potential. So many things to think about. Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for writing this! Much love to you Debbie for always inspiring me!

Hugs,
    Diana

13. Planner's Lounge - Debbie

October 31st, 2015 at 11:01 am

I totally understand Diana. I have felt the same way myself in the past. Maybe consider a one-on-one session with me so we can explore all the options, talk about what does work with your business, and make a plan for the future. Hugs!