Wedding Planning 101

How NOT to Suck at Wedding Planning

1. Michelle Loretta

March 6th, 2013 at 7:12 am

Thanks Debbie for dispelling the “big money” myth! Most small business owners can achieve sustainable income – but not big income. It’s just the truth (and challenge) of small business ownership… and this is a hard reality for wedding planners because it’s a hard and stressful job. However, the rewards of having control of your lifestyle, schedule, and future often far outweigh the big money.

2. Debbie

March 6th, 2013 at 9:10 am

Thanks for sharing Michelle. I completely agree with you about all the other non-financial rewards. So very true.

3. Jessica Bergthold

March 6th, 2013 at 9:17 am

Awesome article, great to see what you ahve been up to Debbie. Looks great around here. I’d like to add one more if I may:

6. Be Ethical! Little is worse than a wedding planner who expects kickbacks from vendors in exchange for referrals. Referrals should be based on a genuine respect for a vendor’s professionalism and ability, not their ability to send you huge checks! Genuine gifts of thanks, now that is another story.

4. Debbie

March 6th, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Great to hear from you Jess and thanks for the great comment!

5. Kari

December 12th, 2014 at 1:18 am

I run an Even Center and plan all of the events. I am also a Wedding planner, Officiant and Event Designer (well working on that).

Is it ethical to have on a facility rental agreement, a note that states that the “onsite attendant’s gratuity is not included in the price? ” Some clients give a card with a gratuity, others don’t.
    Great and helpful articles by the way! Insightful and help me a lot!

6. Planner's Lounge - Debbie

December 15th, 2014 at 11:46 am

That is totally up to you Kari. I personally would not send a document to my clients that says anything about gratuity to me or my staff. However, I know some planners do.